You can make paper flowers using just pretty paper and brads. Add layers of paper or fabric to make a more complex flower or you can even add in some floral wire to make petals that are bendable. For this tutorial I want to focus just on using brads to make paper flowers. Once you know this skill, you’ll be able to make a whole array of different kinds of flowers to use in your craft projects.
Supplies you need to make paper flowers with brads
- Brads – I used the Cozy Brads
- Paper – any kind of scrap paper will work well
- Small hole punch
Steps to make your own brad and paper flowers
- Cut out the petal shapes. I folded a 4×6″ piece of scrapbook paper. Cut out the tear drop shaped petal.
- Layer 6 petals on top of each other, face up.
- Punch a hole at the pointed end of the petals, about 1/4″ from the end.
- Put the brad through the hole, corduroy top up.
- Bend the ends of the brad toward the paper and flatten as much as possible.
- Spread out the petals as desired.
Voila! You now should have a 6 petal flower you can use for whatever you’d like!
You don’t always need to use a hole punch when using brads, however, I find it much easier because the points on a brad are ment to bend. Sometimes the paper or fabric you want to push the brad through is so thick, the brad bends before it punctures the material. For this project I used a super small hole punch, a stand punch would be too large and the petals would slip around. So go grab a stash of your pretty paper scraps and make paper flowers.