It’s Christmas in July with Buttons Galore & More and STYROFOAM Brand Foam! I used my buttons and STYROFOAM Disc to create a holiday needle felting project. Styrofoam is a wonderful base for needle felting, since the wool roving can be felted directly onto the surface, and if the piece is thick enough, no pad is needed. I used a non-traditional color scheme of light blue, raspberry, and lime. This color scheme can go up before Christmas and last through January.
Buttons: Sea Glass, Clear, Wood
Styrofoam Disc, 6×1”
wool roving, light blue
Clover needle felting tool
ric-rac, lime green
hemp twine, raspberry and dark brown
ribbon, light blue
accent ink, Smooch (Clearsnap)
heat tool, optional
- Needle felt wool roving onto STYROFOAM disc using needle felting tool until entire front is covered. (Note: fibers felt together with motion of felting tool. Be sure to use straight up/down motion to keep needles from breaking.)
- Cut lime ricrac into pieces, each smaller than the last. Layer smaller pieces over longer, and glue together.
Use scissors to trim into desired tree shape. Wrap raspberry twine around tree to create “garland”
- Thread wood button with dark brown twine. Glue into place as trunk, and glue tree over top of button. Thread clear button with white thread. Draw star on button using Smooch, covering thread. Allow to dry (or use heat tool), and glue to top of tree.
- Thread Sea Glass buttons with white thread and glue to roving around tree for “snow”.
- Cut cardstock strips to cover sides of STYROFOAM disc and glue into place.
- Carefully apply thin layer of glue to raspberry twine and attach between cardstock sides and felted front of disc to create finished look.
- Cut length of aqua ribbon and attach to back of disc to form hanging loop.
Try this holiday project with the tree, or create your own winter scene with Buttons Galore & More!
Thanks for stopping by!