Make this graduation gift card holder for the graduate in your life. The perfect thing to make a gift card a little more special. Plus these can be customized to the graduate easily. Show the graduate how much you care by adding these handmade gift card holders to their gift.
Graduation Gift Card Holder Supplies Needed:
- white cotton material
- spray adhesive
- white card stock (8 1/2 by 11)
- phoomph or other fabric stiffener
- sewing machine with colored thread
- die cutter and cutting die (or scissors)
- assorted buttons
Graduation Gift Card Holder Instructions:
1) Cut a piece of white cotton material to the size of your card stock. Adhere the fabric to the card stock using spray adhesive. Pick graduation themed images on your computer and put them onto one page in a word processing program or equivalent. Run the card stock through your printer printing the images onto the fabric. Allow to dry before touching. You can set the images with some aerosol hairspray for extra insurance if desired.
2) Next you need to stiffen the fabric. I used a self adhesive product called phoomph but any type of interfacing that you would like to use would work. The phoomph helps keep the fabric from fraying when cut which will be important because I am not sewing the edges. I cut my fabric down then adhered to one side of my phoomph. I then ran the fabric through my die cutter with a die to get rectangular shape. You can use scissors and a straight edge to get the same results.
3) Now cut a piece of felt to 4 inches by 6 inches. Fold your felt around the gift card as shown below. Wrap loosely so you will have adequate room.
4) Turn over and find the center of the front. Mark for reference.
5) Add your saying to the approximate center. The shorter end should be up as this will be the flap you fold over on the back.
6) Use a zig zag stitch to go all around your rectangle. Now fold into position again around a gift card. Pin around the edges that you are going to sew. Also put a few pins to mark the top of your graduation gift card holder. We will be sewing across this top as well.
7) Sew all the way around again with a zig zag stitch. Sew with your flap open.
8) Cut the back flap into a triangle shape. Sew on a button to the back and cut a button hole from the felt. Add your gift card and a note of congratulations. I put a few glue dots on my note and adhered them to the gift card. Button your gift card holder closed and give this graduation gift to a special someone.
You graduate will love this small personalized gesture. Add this graduation gift card holder to your to do list today.