I’ve recently started making little fabric ornaments using just plain canvas or linen fabric and embellishing with different materials. It’s an inexpensive material that you can paint, glue and sew with and using colorful buttons you can great a whole variety of different looks. So today I’m going to show you how I made these pretty little pink fabric hearts embellished with fabulous pink buttons. Don’t fret if you don’t sew, just use a fabric glue instead! You can do it.
Materials you need to make Fabric Hearts:
- Pink Bubblegum Buttons in assorted sizes
- Plain canvas fabric
- Needle, thread & scissors
- Coordinating ribbon or twine
How to make fabric hearts with buttons:
- Fold fabric and cut a heart shape so you end up with 2 matching heart cut outs.
- Stitch heart 1/4″ from edge. Leave a 1.5″ opening.
- Stuff with Polyfil.
- Stitch buttons in place as desired.
- Stitch a loop of ribbon or twine at top for hanging.
Optionally, if you choose to use fabric glue in lieu of sewing, glue the buttons on first and allow to dry. Then glue heart pieces together, leaving a space to stuff and then seal closed.
You can add extra embellishments, decorative stitching and other accents to create a look that’s all your own.
You can make a whole pile of these fun fabric heart buttons. Make each one unique by choosing from a wide array of red and pink buttons in all kinds of shapes and sizes.