Hi, it’s Connie here with the Buttons Galore & More design team. We are celebrating Christmas in July, with handcrafted ornament ideas to create with the family. Looking for a DIY Christmas ornament that is easy for little hands to make? These DIY candy cane ornaments with big red, green and white buttons are easy for little hands to pick up and glue down.
These DIY Christmas ornaments are fast and are very kid friendly to create!
- Create a pattern by drawing a candy cane on chipboard and cutting it out.
- Punch a small hole, in the top of the candy cane, and place twine through for the hanger.
- Wrap the candy cane with jute string, adhering to the top of the candy cane and the bottom. Adhere big buttons to the wrapped candy cane with a strong wet glue. Let dry. Add embellishments, if desired, to complete the ornaments.
The candy canes are wrapped with jute loosely. Once the big buttons are adhered the jute is nice and secure.
You may be familiar with our color mixes of flat buttons, but did you know that Buttons Galore & More also makes the cutest 3D buttons? Today, I’m using some called the Holiday Fun collection, that include snowmen, Christmas trees, stars, deer, and a cat and dog, just to name a few. They are so fun, just like their name! I snipped the shanks off and added these cute “Holiday Fun” buttons to the candy cane ornaments. Paper holly leaves are tucked in behind the “Holiday Fun” buttons.
These ornaments are great for gift exchanges and teacher gifts. Decorating a gift bag is another way to use these candy cane ornaments!
I’m looking forward to adding these handcrafted candy cane ornaments to my little Christmas tree this year, mixed with some real candy canes. That is sure to make everyone happy!
- Buttons Galore & More “Holiday Fun” 3D buttons
- Buttons Galore & More “Country Christmas” Button Bonanza
- heavy jute
- clear drying glue
- cardstock (to cut holly leaves)
Thanks for stopping by~
Connie Mercer/DT Member